Have you been tasked with marketing library events or services without ever having a course that taught you how? If so, you’re an “accidental marketer,” and you’re not alone! This webinar will give you a solid foundation in the tenets of library marketing, covering definitions, strategies, reasoning, and the steps in the Cycle of True Marketing.
With a dash of humor, marketing maven Kathy Dempsey will answer these burning questions:
• What’s the difference between marketing, public relations, promotion, and advocacy?
• Why didn’t anyone come to the event that I worked so hard on?
• How can I get my message through when people are inundated with information and advertising?
• Why is library lingo evil?
• What mistakes am I making without realizing it?
• How can I make my marketing more effective?
Wonder no longer, this is the “Marketing 101” lesson that will help it all make sense! Kathy Dempsey wrote a book called The Accidental Library Marketer, so she knows how to get you up-to-speed. LEVEL: BASIC
What They Didn’t Teach You in Library School: The Cycle of True Marketing
Kathy Dempsey wrote the how-to book The Accidental Library Marketer and founded her own marketing consultancy, Libraries Are Essential. Her work is dedicated to helping librarians and information professionals promote their value and expertise in order to gain respect and funding. Kathy has been the Editor of Marketing Library Services newsletter for 27 years, and was formerly Editor-in-Chief of Computers in Libraries magazine. She also blogs at The 'M' Word, and is a member of the New Jersey Library Association. She's the Founding Chair of the popular Library Marketing and Communications Conference.