There’s a lot of science and psychology in the retail merchandising world that can benefit your library. In fact, it can not only invigorate and improve your everyday displays and signage, it can also increase your usage statistics. Trying it doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive.
In this webinar, Kathy Dempsey will explain what merchandising is and will reveal strategies to help you do it quickly and effectively. Through pro tips and lots of photographic examples, you will:
• Learn the difference between creating displays and doing merchandising.
• Understand how the magic of merchandising can increase library usage and circulation.
• Realize what runs people off and keeps them from entering your building.
• View photos of great (and not-so-great) merchandising from libraries around the world.
• Realize how merchandising, signage, and displays affect the user experience (UX).
Please note: This session is not geared toward ideas about what to display. Instead, it’s about the strategies behind good displays, signage, and promotion. It’s about upholding your brand and improving customers’ usage of, and perspectives of, the library. LEVEL: BASIC
Increasing Library Usage through Strategic Merchandising
Kathy Dempsey is a consultant and trainer through her business, Libraries Are Essential, and is the author of The Accidental Library Marketer (Information Today, Inc., 2009). Her work is dedicated to helping librarians and information professionals promote their value and expertise in order to gain respect and funding. Kathy has been the Editor of the Marketing Library Services newsletter for 24 years and was formerly Editor-in-Chief of Computers in Libraries magazine. She also blogs at The 'M' Word, and is an active member of the New Jersey Library Association.