Spend an hour online with one of the nation’s leading experts on library safety and security. Dr. Steve Albrecht has trained thousands of library employees on the do’s and don’ts of handling challenging, entitled, odd, or even threatening patrons, including the homeless, mentally ill, drug users, gang members, thieves, Internet hogs, and others who want to disrupt the library. His popular webinar program offers practical and realistic tools that will make your facility a better, safer place to work. Enjoy Steve’s real-life experiences as a law enforcement officer, mixed with his use of humor. Learn safe workplace behaviors, security measures, personal protection methods, and how to activate your “high-risk” customer service skills.
Here’s what Steve covers in this fast and empowering webinar program:
• The “New” Library Environment
• Our list of challenging patrons: From pets to pedophiles
• Opiate users and Narcan
• Managing homeless and mentally ill patron behavior
• Issues enforcing our code of conduct
• Using space, distance, and proxemic barriers
• Setting better boundaries with patrons
• Workplace violence: The run-hide-fight response to active shooters
• Our library facility security plan
• Better interactions with the police
• Verbal judo: The L.E.A.P.S. model
Safe & Secure Libraries: Helping Staff Deal With Challenging Patrons
For over 17 years, Dr. Steve Albrecht has made himself well-known to library training audiences around the country. His book, Library Security, was published by the ALA in 2015.
Steve is one of the country’s leading experts on workplace an